Turf Magazine - April, 2014
17th Annual Snow & Ice Symposium
Columbus, Ohio, June 18-21
The Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA) will hold its 17th Annual Snow & Ice Symposium in Columbus, Ohio, June 18-21.
The four-day event will feature a trade show, speakers, educational sessions and networking events.
New for the this year will be a pre-conference workshop at the City of Columbus Complex, which will include a facility tour and sessions on brine making and equipment cleaning. There will also be two keynote speakers.
The symposium will be held at the Greater Columbus Convention Center and the Hyatt Regency Columbus, and will also feature:
- A two-day trade show with the latest equipment and services from over 100 exhibitors.
- An interactive "Best Practices Pavilion" on the trade show floor.
- 21 educational sessions in topic areas including sales & marketing, operations & equipment, management & leadership, and CEO to CEO.
- "State of the Industry" panel discussion during the General Membership Meeting.
- "Snack & Chat" roundtable discussions on various snow and ice topics where attendees can network and share tips of the trade.
- Networking receptions, including a closing event at Columbus' Center of Science and Industry.
- The SIMA Awards & Recognition Night, honoring the best in snow and ice.
Registration and a full schedule of events are available at http://www.sima.org/show.
Schedule of Events
Tuesday, June 17
- 12 - 5 p.m.: Registration Open
- 2 - 6:30 p.m.: Board of Directors Meeting
Wednesday, June 18
- 8 a.m. - 8p.m.: Registration Open
- 8 - 10 a.m.: Board of Directors Meeting
- 10 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.: Committee Meetings & Lunch
- 1 - 5 p.m.: Pre-Conference Workshop: Brine Making Workshop & Facility Tour at City of Columbus Complex. Attendance is limited; additional fee applies
- 5:45 - 6:45 p.m.: First Timers/Volunteer Reception - If you are attending the Symposium for the first time or are a SIMA volunteer, you won't want to miss this reception. First-time attendees can meet SIMA staff, volunteers and board members, and network with other attendees to learn how to make the most out of the symposium. Symposium volunteers will also be recognized during this reception.
- 7 - 8 p.m.: General Membership Meeting - All attendees are welcome to attend and hear about the newest SIMA projects and goals. A panel of industry experts will also hold a "State of the Industry" discussion, highlighting trends and issues that will provide insight into how you can capitalize on emerging challenges and opportunities in the snow & ice management industry.
- 8 - 10 p.m.: Welcome Reception - Kick off the symposium with this popular event. Entertainment, food and drink, prizes and fun await you. This is the perfect opportunity to reconnect with friends and colleagues, and have some fun! (Sponsored by Epoke North America, Pro-Tech Manufacturing & Distribution, Snow Dragon and Avalanche)
Thursday, June 19
- 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.: Registration Open
- 7 - 8 a.m.: Hot Breakfast
- 8 - 9:30 a.m.: Keynote Session: What's the Secret? To Providing a World-Class Customer Experience with John DiJulius - As one of the leading authorities on customer service, organizations across America use John's philosophies and systems for creating world class service. He has worked with companies such as The Ritz-Carlton, Lexus, Nordstrom, Starbucks, Panera Bread, The Cheesecake Factory, Progressive Insurance, U.S. Bank and many more, helping them continue to raise the bar and set the standard in service that consistently exceeds customer expectations.
- 9:45 - 11:15 amConcurrent Sessions:
- Sales & Marketing - Presentational Skills to Secure New Business, Anthony Huey, Reputation Management Associates
- CEO to CEO - Systemize Your Business to Support Your Growth, Fritz Frazier & Jay Felton, Winter Services, Inc.
- Operations & Equipment - No More Binders: Simple, Affordable Technology that Connects Field/Office Operations, Mike Lysecki, Landscape Management Network
- Management & Leadership - The Sustainable Fuel for High Performance-Employee Engagement, Brian Gareau, Brian Gareau, Inc.
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.: Snack & Chat Lunch - Discuss some of the most current, interesting and relevant topics for the snow & ice management professional in a casual networking environment. Grab some lunch (provided) and join fellow colleagues for three Snack & Chats, designed in a roundtable setting to help you network with people who want to discuss the same issues as you. Register in advance; additional fee applies.
- 1 - 6 p.m.: Trade Show Open
- 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.: SIMA Awards & Recognition Night, Sponsored by Pro-Tech Manufacturing & Distribution - Help SIMA celebrate and congratulate award-winners and the industry as a whole. This year's Awards Night will be hosted by Jim Paluch of JP Horizons, author, motivational speaker and industry expert. Join us as we recognize safety award winners, Excellence in Business winners, Volunteer of the Year, the Alan Steiman Scholarship recipient and more. This is also an opportunity to celebrate SIMA and the snow & ice management industry by enjoying a memorable night of dinner, networking, and camaraderie. Additional fee applies
- 9:30 - 10:30 p.m.: CSP Reception, Sponsored by Pro-Tech Manufacturing & Distribution - All Certified Snow Professionals are invited to attend this reception for beverages and networking. (By invitation only)
Friday, June 20
- 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.: Registration Open
- 8 - 9:15 a.m.: Keynote Session: Championship Selling in the New Economy with Marc Wayshak - In today's technology-saturated world, information is readily available. The Internet has changed everything for prospects, not to mention for the salespeople who hope to win their business. This new environment creates tremendous opportunity for those with the right strategy to dramatically increase sales. As Marc shares in this program, winning the business of well-informed prospects is very similar to winning in sports. Consistent success, both in sales and on the field, requires a distinct strategy, a repeatable process and a clear plan to execute with commitment and passion.
- 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: Trade Show Open
- 12:45 - 1:45 p.m.: Snack & Chat - Discuss some of the most current, interesting and relevant topics for the snow & ice management professional in a casual networking environment. Grab some lunch (provided) and join fellow colleagues for three Snack & Chats, designed in a roundtable setting to help you network with people who want to discuss the same issues as you. Register in advance; additional fee applies.
- 2 - 3:15 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions:
- Sales & Marketing - Discussing LEED and Snow Removal, Stuart Kaplow, Sustainability & Green Real Estate Attorneys
- CEO to CEO - Hiring the Right Person for the Job, Patrick McGuiness, Zlimen & McGuiness, PLLC
- Operations & Equipment - Know your Snow Capacities BEFORE the Season - Scheduling & Capacity Boards, Domenic Chiarella, 7 of 7 BEST Business and Life Strategies, LLC
- Management & Leadership - Panel: Public/Private Relationships, Diana Clonch, DW Clonch, LLC, Eric Hartmann, Tovar's Snowplowing, Inc.
- 3:45 - 4:45 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions:
- Sales & Marketing - Conquering Cold Calling, Neal Glatt, CSP, Case Snow Management, Inc.
- CEO to CEO - Empowering Your Employees for Success, Tim Gibbons, Tim's Snowplowing, Inc.
- 5 - 6 p.m.: Networking Reception
Saturday, June 21
- 8 - 9:15 a.m.: Concurrent Sessions:
- Management & Leadership - Personal Safety in Snow & Ice, Martyn Church, CSP, Eco Snow Removal
- CEO to CEO - Leaving a Legacy as a Snow Company Owner, Charles Glossop, CSP, Hantho Farms, LLC
- Operations & Equipment - Battle Your Fuel Bill and WIN, Jennifer Barnard, Fleetmatics
- 9:45 - 11 a.m.: Concurrent Sessions:
- Sales & Marketing - Effectively Using Social Media in Your Company, Brian Lee, Revelation PR, Advertising & Social Media
- CEO to CEO - Panel: Current Issues for CEOs, Gabriel Asebedo, CSP, Snow Clearing Service, LLC; Kent Peddie, Precision Snow Removal; and Stephen Summer, ATS-About Time Snow
- Management & Leadership - ASM and CSP: The Benefits, Phill Sexton, SIMA, and Jim Turcan, CSP, Cornerstone Partners Horticultural Services Co.
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions:
- Operations & Equipment - University Research Findings on Snow & Ice Control, Raqib Omer, University of Waterloo
- Sales & Marketing - Marketing & Branding: Your Businesses' Next First Step, Jason Wilton, Clintar Landscape Management
- Management & Leadership - Safety in Snow & Ice, Todd Dilley, Lawn Ranger
- 12:45 - 1:45 p.m.: Snack & Chat Lunch - Discuss some of the most current, interesting and relevant topics for the snow & ice management professional in a casual networking environment. Grab some lunch (provided) and join fellow colleagues for three Snack & Chats, designed in a roundtable setting to help you network with people who want to discuss the same issues as you. Register in advance; additional fee applies.
- 3 - 9 p.m.: Closing Event - This year's closing event takes place at the Columbus Center of Science and Industry (COSI), where attendees will enjoy an evening exploring the museum, having a private cocktail hour in the Adventure exhibit and eating dinner outside on the Plaza Deck, overlooking the Scioto River and the lights of downtown Columbus. Wind down from the show on Saturday night and enjoy a great time with fellow attendees. (Sponsored by Caterpillar, Inc.)