VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – STIHL, Inc. recently held the STIHL Manufacturing Technology Summer Camp on July 16-19, 2014. The camp, which promotes careers in modern manufacturing, gives high school students the unique opportunity to design and build unique products such as wireless speakers from STIHL parts. Students were taught how to utilize technical skill sets and test and use CNC machines to find the most efficient way to build their products. On the final day, students competed to determine which team could create the best process to manufacture them. Each member of the winning team received a scholarship of $1,000 from the Virginia Industry Foundation; scholarships are funded by STIHL, FESTO,ECPI and other camp supporters. The 2014 winning team members from Team Bumble Beatzzzz, which built nine wireless speakers, are:
- Joshua Dano, Landstown High School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Cameron Jackson, Grassfield High School, Chesapeake, Va.
- Thomas Mathwig, Ocean Lakes High School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Garrett Pease, Windsor High School, Windsor, Va.
- Alex Plutchak, Lynnhaven Middle School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Carter Sabo, Landstown Technology & STEM Academy, Virginia Beach, Va.