Want to keep up with the latest news in lawn care and landscaping? Check back every Thursday for a quick recap of recent happenings in the green industry.
PBI‐Gordon Announces FIFRA Recommendation for Doveweed Control
PBI‐Gordon announced that Surge Broadleaf Herbicide for Turf has a Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) section 2(ee) recommendation for control of doveweed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. Research at Mississippi State University found 85 percent control of doveweed with Surge, which is a water‐based formulation.
CASE Dealer Network will Now Carry Tutela Transmission Fluid
CASE Construction Equipment announced that Tutela Powershift HD all-makes powershift transmission fluid is now available through its dealer network to allow the dealers to better service mixed-fleet customers. Tutela Powershift HD is recommended for use in heavy-duty powershift transmissions and final drives of today’s construction and mining equipment, according to CASE.
HydroPoint Acquires Idaho-based Baseline
HydroPoint Data Systems, the maker of WeatherTRAK smart irrigation technology, announced that it has acquired smart irrigation provider, Baseline, Inc. based in Boise, Idaho. Following record revenue growth for both companies in 2015 and 2016 YTD, HydroPoint’s acquisition of Baseline brings an array of smart water management technologies to the HydroPoint 360 Smart Water Management platform. Baseline will continue to operate as an independent company, and HydroPoint will invest in both the Boise operations and the Baseline product line.
MSU’s Joe Vargas Named to Michigan Golf Hall of Fame
Michigan State University plant pathologist Joseph M. Vargas has been inducted into the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame. Throughout his 48-year career, Vargas has authored more than 200 articles on turfgrass disease and wrote a leading textbook on turfgrass management. A professor in the Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, he has been instrumental in discovering a variety of pests that threaten the common Poa annua turfgrass variety, as well as identifying the causes of black layer in sand-based turf soils. “I was very surprised to be inducted into the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame and very honored,” Vargas said. “Nobody wins an award by themselves, and I’m no exception. I’ve had great colleagues, great people working for me and great family support. I know I’m not the first to say that, but it’s true.”
TruGreen, Indiana City Create Adopt-an-Ash Program
TruGreen is partnering with the City of Evansville, Ind., to protect against emerald ash borer with a new “Adopt-an-Ash” program. There are roughly 300 ash trees on public property that residents, businesses and organizations can sponsor and subsidize its treatment and protection.
Reminder from MSU that Site & Plant Selection Results in Successful Establishment
The Michigan State University Extension, Departments of Horticulture and Forestry shared information on their blog by Bert Cregg about selecting the right tree and site. Identifying which site factors are most critical for successful plant establishment may not always be clear. Plant performance is related to an array of above-ground and below-ground environmental factors; many of these are discussed in detail in Michigan State University Extension bulletin E2996, “Abiotic Plant Disorders.”
Toro Equipment Approved for Missouri Through NASPO
The State of Missouri has approved a contract for Toro equipment through The National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO) ValuePoint for use by all state agencies and other authorized users. The contract provides state agencies access to competitive pricing for a wide selection of Toro products, including commercial mowers, turf renovation equipment and utility vehicles.
DuPont and Dow AgroSciences Announce Senior Leaders
Senior leadership appointments for DowDuPont Inc. have been announced following the proposed merger that is expected to close in the second half of 2016.
- Andrew N. Liveris, chairman and chief executive officer of Dow, will become executive chairman of DowDuPont.
- Edward D. Breen, chair and chief executive officer of DuPont, will become chief executive officer of DowDuPont.
- Howard Ungerleider will become chief financial officer for DowDuPont.
- Stacy Fox will become general counsel for DowDuPont. Fox is currently senior vice president and general counsel for DuPont.
- Charles J. Kalil will become special counsellor to the executive chairman of DowDuPont, as well as general counsel for the Material Science business.
- Jim Fitterling, currently president and chief operating officer for Dow, will become chief operating officer for DowDuPont’s Material Science business.
- James C. Collins, Jr., currently executive vice president for DuPont and leader of DuPont’s Agriculture business segment, will become chief operating officer for DowDuPont’s Agriculture business.
- Marc Doyle, currently executive vice president and leader of DuPont’s Electronics & Communications, Industrial Biosciences, Nutrition & Health, Performance Materials and Safety & Protection businesses, will become chief operating officer for DowDuPont’s Specialty Products business.
Buyers Products Adds Patrick Fuchs as Sales Manager
Buyers Products added Patrick Fuchs as its municipal sales manager. He will join the sales and marketing team in the role of municipal sales and product development pertaining to fluid control and anti-ice. Prior to working for Buyers, Fuchs worked for the DICKEY-John Corporation located in Auburn, Ill.
San Diego Chapter of CLCA Board Members Installed
The San Diego Chapter of the California Landscape Contractors Association (CLCA), recently elected its board of directors. The board members are:
- Mike Salceanu, Landscapes USA, chairman of the board
- Stacey Sturnot, BrightView, president
- Janet Pozzuoli-Vallin, Belle Terre Landscapes, vice president, education and events
- Rick Mandel, Ewing Irrigation, vice president, membership recruitment
- Willie Valdez, Free Flow Products, vice president, membership recruitment
- Melissa Tetzlaff, Landscape Contractors Insurance Services, Inc., vice president, education
- Larry Hall, Horizon Distributors, vice president, resource management and legislation
- Jerrie Beard, Jerrie Beard & Associates, secretary
- Loren Godes, Hydro-Scape Products, AM vice chairman
- Colin Farrelly, Imperial Sprinkler Supply, AM vice chairman
- Amy Conrad, Conrad Public Relations, public relations and marketing coordinator
Zach Lane Joins Bayer as SW Florida Sales Manager
Environmental Science, a division within the Crop Science division of Bayer, has announced that Zach Lane will be joining Bayer as area sales manager in southwest Florida. In his new role, Lane will manage customer and distributor relationships for both the golf and lawn and landscape markets across southwest Florida. Lane most recently served as director of agronomy at Laurel Oak Country Club in Sarasota.
Mean Green Brings Solar Power to the Commercial Mower Market
S.A.M., from Mean Green Mowers, is an acronym for “Solar Assisted Mower.” The innovation is an optional solar electric canopy that can be added to the commercial electric Mean Green CXR-52″/60″ ZTR ride-on mower. According to Mean Green, within the first year of operation, there are possible savings of up to $11,000.
Professional Sales Lift Toro Quarterly Results
Strong sales in The Toro Company’s professional segment, particularly for its landscape contractor and golf products at the start of its key selling season, helped lift it to net earnings of $105.7 million, or $1.89 per share. This represents a net sales increase of 1.2 percent to $836.4 million for its 2016 second quarter ended April 29, 2016. In the comparable fiscal 2015 period, the company delivered net earnings of $93.8 million, or $1.64 per share, on net sales of $826.2 million.
Davey Promotes Three Key Employees
The Davey Tree Expert Company promoted Scott Carlin to vice president of asset management services for Davey Resource Group. Twelve years ago, Carlin began as a project developer for Davey Resource Group. Davey also promoted Karen Wise to division manager of midwest natural resource consulting for Davey Resource Group. Wise joined Davey Resource Group in 1997 as a wetland scientist. Doak Marasco has been promoted to manager of strategic partnerships, national business development team, Northeast region at Davey. Marasco has been at Davey for over 12 years working across different divisions.