Oaks, Pa., August 2-4
The Penn Atlantic Nursery Trade Show (PANTS) is an association-produced event by the Pennsylvania Landscape & Nursery Association (PLNA), and is in its 39th year and still maintains its status as the first show of the buying season on the East Coast. Attendees regard PANTS as the largest green industry event that provides the first opportunity to discover the hot new trends, attend green tours, meet industry professionals and find buying season suppliers. This is the show’s third year at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pa.
For complete show information or to register, visit www.pantsshow.com.
Green Trends Tour
Monday, August 1 – $89 (includes transportation and box lunch), Sponsored by Nexus Greenhouse Systems
Not only have these destinations never been seen on a PANTS tour before, all three are leaders in a key trend in our industry and across America: “greening.” Join Maria Zampini, president of Lake County New Plants, LLC, and discover new and upcoming trends in the mid-Atlantic area.
- Jenkins Arboretum & Gardens – Developed as a public park, arboretum and wildlife sanctuary for the use of public and responsible organizations engaged in the study of arboriculture, horticulture and wildlife for educational and scientific purposes.
- Linvilla Orchards – A 300-acre farm dedicated to agriculture, entertainment and education.
- Lucas Greenhouses – You will find ozone for water treatment, 14 acres of open roof and dual atrium glass greenhouses, floor and boom irrigation, argus controls on the environment, heated concrete rootzone heating, a new soil mixing and production facility with 120 yard per hour mix system and five planting lines, 30 acres of outdoor field production with 300,000 mums and a variety of flowering vegetable crops, and the Syngenta trial gardens, both vegetative and mums.
Private Garden Tour
Tuesday, August 2 – $89 (includes transportation and box lunch)
A rare opportunity to tour five private gardens, several of which have never before been part of any public tour.
- Luginbuhl Residence – This property was designed to create a variety of smaller outdoor spaces meant to maximize privacy and create a series of landscape “vignettes,” each featuring a specific specimen tree or shrub grouping.
- Peace Garden at the Friends Meeting & Marshall Residence – This is the site where the Battle of the Brandywine was fought during the Revolutionary War.
- Birmingham Gardens – A 4-acre propagation nursery and garden with a collection of large trees and tropical plants formerly owned by J. Franklin Styer (of Styer’s Nursery, Concordville, Pa.).
- Timon Residence – The intent of this project was to create a renovated landscape to accommodate the exuberant play of the owner’s young children, with a large play lawn and landscape with an emphasis on woody plants for year-round structure.
- Merrywood – For over 20 years, Shipley and Mary Allinson have been developing and refining their strolling garden known as Merrywood. Beginning with a blank canvas, the 1.5-acre property has evolved into a series of garden rooms, sitting areas and plant collections.
Each day of the show, demonstrations of new products will be offered in Hall D. These free seminars provide you with insight on how the products work, the time it takes to install and assemble, and the know-how to maintain. We know you use their products, so come and learn about the new items they have to offer. The demonstration area is sponsored by Turf magazine.
Tuesday, August 2
- 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.: Outdoor Fire Pits – Belgard Hardscapes
- 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Permeable Paver Installation – EP Henry Corp.
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.: Concrete Overlay – TechoBloc
- 1 – 2:30 p.m.: LED Lighting – Aquarius Irrigation
- 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Pre-Cut and Pre-Packaged Patio Grill Kit – Cambridge Pavingstones
Wednesday, August 3
- 9:30 – 10:15 a.m.: Current and Future Trends in the Hardscape Industry – TechoBloc
- 10:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.: Pre-Cut and Pre-Packaged Patio Pub & Bistro Kit – Cambridge Pavingstones
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Creating Hanging Gardens with Truly “Green” Retaining Walls – Belgard Hardscapes
- 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.: How to Build a Rio Wall Using All Three Sizes – Rinox Pavers
- 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.: Irrigation Controller Installation – Aquarius Irrigation
Thursday, August 4
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Pre-Cut and Pre-Packaged Bar – Cambridge Pavingstones
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Designing Outdoor Kitchen and Living Rooms with Pre-Built Modular Concrete Hardscape Elements – Belgard Hardscapes
Tuesday, August 2 – 12-1 p.m., $25, Sponsored by Octoraro Native Plant Nursery
Join PLNA for a light lunch with your legislators. This is an excellent opportunity to convey the message of the industry to your elected officials and give a face to the issues that directly affect you. There will be a brief program and then PLNA will take the legislators onto the floor to meet exhibitors and visit the booths.