Providence, R.I., March 7-10
Come and take time to maximize your opportunity to learn from some of the best authorities on turfgrass management in the industry. Walk the 350-booth trade show floor, and talk to the equipment and turf product experts as they share information on the newest management tools on turf. Review the extensive turf management seminars and education sessions to meet your needs and answer your questions. Don’t miss the keynote speaker, 1980 Olympic hockey champion, Mike Eruzione, as he shares stories that lifted the spirits of an entire country of what is considered the greatest sports story of the 20th century. For complete show information, as well as how to register, visit www.nertf.org.
Tuesday, March 8, 3:45 – 4 p.m. Keynote speaker Mike Eruzione
Mike Eruzione served as the captain that led the 1980 United States Olympic Hockey Team to its gold medal victory in Lake Placid, N.Y. The highlight of the games for Eruzione was scoring the game-winning goal against the Soviet Union. That victory advanced the U.S. Hockey Team to the gold medal game where they beat Finland to win the gold medal. A native of Massachusetts, he was a well-known sports talent; he excelled as an all-scholastic in baseball, football and hockey. While attending Boston University, he captained the hockey team his senior year and finished his college career as the third leading scorer in B.U. history. Eruzione was voted the Best Defensive Forward in the Hockey East Conference and eventually was inducted into the Boston University Athletic Hall of Fame.
Eruzione played on two U.S. National Teams and played two years with the Toledo Goaldiggers of the International Hockey League. The IHL rewarded him with the McKenzie Award, which is annually presented to the most outstanding American-born player in the IHL. The following year, he was chosen to join the 1980 Olympic Team, and was honored by being elected captain by his Olympic teammates.
Trade Show Hours
- Tuesday, March 8: 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. with reception
- Wednesday, March 9: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday, March 10: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
After the victory in Lake Placid, Eruzione spent several years in New York and New Jersey as a sports commentator. In 1992, he did broadcasting for CBS in Albertville, France, and in Lillehammer, Norway, during the 1994 Olympic Games.
The 1980 Olympic Team received many accolades after winning the gold medal, including being inducted into the United States Olympic Hall of Fame. On December 2, 1999, the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team was given the ultimate compliment when Sports Illustrated Magazine voted their moment the number one sports moment of the century. Eruzione and his teammates had the honor of lighting the Olympic Flame at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. In 2004, Eruzione and his teammates were featured in the Disney movie, “Miracle.” For the past several years, he has traveled throughout the country representing major corporations as their spokesperson and motivational speaker.
- 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.: Show opens and opening reception
- Wednesday, March 9
- 4 – 5 p.m.: Live auction
- 5 – 6:30 p.m.: Conference reception
- 7 – 9 p.m.: Dr. Joe and Lonnie Troll dinner
Educational Program Hours/Seminars
Monday, March 7
- 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Back to Basics: Strategies for Managing Turf in Extreme Years!
- Basic Excel 2003 Training for Turf Managers
- A Plan-Based Budget Will Help You Succeed!
- Water Conservation and Energy Efficiency Management for Golf Irrigation Systems
- 1 – 5 p.m.
- Maximizing Disease Control with Modern Fungicides
- Advanced Excel 2003 Training for Turf Managers
- Got Water? Water Conservation Issues in Turf
- CPR/AED Training
Tuesday, March 8
- 9:05 – 9:40 a.m.
- Taking the Hocus Pocus Out of Fairy Ring Prevention
- 9:40 – 10:15 a.m.
- Vineyard Golf Club Revisited
- 10:15 – 10:50 a.m.
- Do We Have the Herbicides We Need to Manage Weeds in Golf Course Tall Grass Areas?
- 10:50 – 11:30 a.m.
- Golf Course Tree Evaluation
- 1:05 – 1:30 p.m.
- Electronic Options for Putting the USGA Green Section to Work for You
- 1:30 – 2:15 p.m.
- Precision Water Management
- 2:05 – 2:35 p.m.
- 2010 Lessons Learned
- 2:45 – 3:45 p.m.
- Where to Cut the Budget and Where Not!
Wednesday, March 9
- 9 – 9:45 a.m.
- New Herbicide Products for Golf Courses
- Essentials for Drainage on Sports Fields
- Diagnosing Die-back Problems in Trees and Shrubs
- Shop Management or Textron Service Rep. Open Discussion
- 9:45 – 10:30 a.m.
- Brown Ring Patch Control
- Remedies for Problem Sports Fields
- Innovative Weed Management?
- Conflict Management or John Deere Service Rep. Open Discussion
- 10:30 – 11 a.m.
- Putting Green Re-grassing … Keys to Success
- Putting Sustainable Landscape Principles into Practice
- 2 – 2:45 p.m.
- Summer Bentgrass Decline
- Poa Management for Sports Fields
- Diesel Engine Maintenance & Troubleshooting
- 2:45 – 3:15 p.m.
- False Green Kyllinga: A New Weed in New England
- Conservation and Sustainability for Public and Private Grounds
- 3:15 – 4 p.m.
- Effects of Plant Growth Regulators on Fungicide Resistance in Dollar Spot
- Plant Growth Regulators & Biostimulants
Thursday, March 10
- 8 – 8:45 a.m.
- Rotunda/Breakfast with Researchers
- 9 – 9:30 a.m.
- Chesapeake Bay Project
- 9:30 – 10:15 a.m.
- Preventative Control of Annual Bluegrass Weevil: A Different Perspective
- Plant Growth Regulators
- 10:15 – 11 a.m.
- Algae Control Alternatives on Putting Green Turf
- Innovative Weed Management for Lawn Care