Lawn Care and Landscape Professionals Speak Out

Ijustwantausername: “I REALLY need to do something before I slip up and get a flat 20 miles from home. I can’t carry a tank on my trailer, so do they sell something with compressed air I can put in the toolbox for a few times of use? Fix-A-Flat any good?”

macgyver_GA: “I have a 12-volt air compressor I keep in my truck. I keep it in there for when I need to air down/up the tires when I’m off-roading. I got it … for about $70 I think a couple years ago. It connects to the battery with positive and negative clips.

“I’ve used it a couple times to add air to the mower tires; also used it last week to air the tires back up after I was done driving on the beach up north of Corolla at the OBX instead of having to wait in line at the gas station for air.”

LGL: “I carry a can of slime; works great.”

ztman: “I fill my tires with slime when they are new. If you want to go compact they make CO2 inflators, but they are expensive. Fix-A-Flat will air up a tire, but I would rather have a small compressor if you are just inflating as opposed to sealing a puncture.”

rreyn1812: “I carry cans of mower Fix-A-Flat to air up quickly, and I also carry a small, high-capacity 12-volt pump, and I bought enough wire (30 feet) and 12-volt connectors to extend my cigarette lighter (I have one in the bed of my truck, too) to the rear of my trailer so I can work on a mower loaded on the trailer (I’ve had to do this before), a trailer tire or a truck tire. I also carry enough Fix-A-Flat for a trailer tire or a truck tire. I try to be prepared! Had it happen and didn’t have the stuff with me, so now I do!”

larryinalabama: “Don’t laugh, but I have ‘bicycle tire’ pump that I keep on my truck. It cost less than $10.”

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare: “I have a 1,500-watt inverter in the truck and a 3-gallon air compressor in the toolbox; works great. It’s a lot faster than any 12-volt compressor I have ever used. The inverter ran around $100 and $40 for the compressor.”

ed2hess: “I keep a tank and an electric pump and slime and tire patches. If one of those little fix-it cans will air up a Scag rear tire, I will eat it. And, mower tires aren’t the only thing that goes flat: how about a truck tire?”

gcbailey: “We have 10-gallon tanks on each truck, along with those portable battery booster boxes with a built-in pump, can of slime and plugs; roadsides and industrial commercial properties can suck at times!”

orangemower: “I carry a $10, tiny, little 12-volt compressor and a Black Jack tire plug kit.”

macgyver_GA: “If you go for a 12-volt compressor, get one that connects directly to your battery instead of the cigarette lighter. You’ll get much more CFM out of one that connects directly to your battery.”

caseysmowing: “Only one other person carries a hand pump? To each his own, I guess. I just have a 100 PSI hand or foot pump; it takes about 30 minutes to pump up a rear tire. I only use tire plugs, but would use slime if I had a slow leak I couldn’t fix. Anyone else use a long acre 0 to 30 PSI gauge? Love it. Plus, hand-pump tire gauge and plug kit all fit in the netting behind the seat! Not much room in a regular cab.”

daryl gesner: “I also have a little 12-volt compressor I keep behind the seat of my truck. There’s one in every vehicle I own. It would take forever to get my truck tires to pressure, but works fine for the mowers the few times I’ve used it.”

lawnboy dan: “I too carry a bike pump and a 12-volt compressor that plugs into the lighter to recharge. It’s got a big battery so I can take it where it needs to go. It’s a jumper box, but is worthless as a jumper; it’s got a good compressor.”

rvon99: “I carry a spare tire, small bumper jack out of a old truck, and a cordless impact gun.”

“In Your Own Words” is contributed from the lawn care and landscape forum at, which was named one of 10 Great Media Sites by Media Business magazine, and has been chosen as a winner of the Most Engaged Media Brands for 2010 by min, a firm that tracks the media industry. Visit them, and join in the discussions.