MEMPHIS, Tenn. – As we welcome the arrival of summer, it also signifies the arrival of another not-so-welcome season: tick season. TruGreen offers Northeastern homeowners a solution to reducing tick populations so they can enjoy their property all summer long.
According to the CDC, reducing exposure to ticks is the best defense against Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases. A single springtime application of tick pesticide to your lawn can greatly reduce the number of ticks in your yard. The best time for the application to protect against Lyme disease is June when the ticks are in the nymph stage. If you live in an area prone to ticks, the CDC suggests you consider using a professional outdoor pest control company to help reduce the tick population in your yard.
"Using a professional outdoor pest control company should be part of a well-rounded, comprehensive defense program," said Ben Hamza, TruGreen director of technical services. "Because ticks can congregate in backyards, it is especially important to protect yourself and your family so that you can fully enjoy your outdoor time without the worry of ticks and other outdoor pests."
Following are general tips from the CDC to help create a tick-safe zone to reduce ticks in your yard:
- Use a professional outdoor pest control company to control ticks
- Clear tall grasses and brush around homes and at the edge of lawns
- Place a barrier of wood chips or gravel between lawns and wooded areas
- Mow the lawn frequently and keep leaves raked
- Stack wood neatly and in a dry area away from the house or lawn
- Keep playground equipment, decks and patios away from wooded areas and in a sunny location
- Remove any trash or debris from the yard that may give ticks a place to hide
For the full article, click here.